Tall Champion's vinegar bottle; Champion & Co; Unknown; CR1977.061
Tall Champion's vinegar bottleAbout this object
Tall Champion's vinegar bottle, pale green, with Champion's vinegar embossed on side. The tall, narrow bottle is molded in two halves and faceted around the body. It has an extended tapered & ribbed neck, with Trade mark and St George Equestrian embossed on it and 147 embossed on base. The bottle has a glass stopper and pale green cork washer.
Champion & Co. was one of the largest vinegar brewers in London and was established in 1705 during the reign of Queen Anne. In an age before refrigeration, vinegar was a much more important commodity than it is today, due to its preservative effect on foodstuffs.
After the First World War, the British vinegar market was suffering from overcapacity. Champion & Slee was acquired, along with rival Sarson’s, by Crosse & Blackwell in 1929. Champion & Co produced well over 1.5 million gallons of vinegar every year by 1872. The firm also produced two tons of mustard per day. The works employed 170 workers, almost all skilled.
The brewery site, close to the City of London, became highly valuable, and the owners sold the business to Slee, Slee & Co, a rival vinegar brewer dating to 1812, to form Champion & Slee Ltd in 1907.
After the First World War, the British vinegar market was suffering from overcapacity. Champion & Slee was acquired, along with rival Sarson’s, by Crosse & Blackwell in 1929.
The Champion vinegar brand continued to be advertised until 1955, after which it appears to have been phased out in favor of the Sarson’s brand.
GlassInscription and Marks
"Trade" and St George equestrian embossed on neck, "Champion's vinegar" on side of the bottle, and "147" on baseMeasurements
H 380mm x D 720mm (base)Subject and Association Keywords
From the Collection of the Cromwell MuseumObject Type