Photograph [Mataura in 1871]; unknown photographer; 1871; MT2011.185.132
Photograph [Mataura in 1871]About this object
Black and white photograph of Mataura in 1871 showing the town's first buildings and the suspension bridge which was built in 1868.
The buildings are from left to right: Thomas Smith (boot maker and saddler), Sale Yards, Post and Telegraph Office, Mrs Hamilton's private school, James Pollock's General Store, William Gardiner (blacksmith), James Pollock's accommodation house and stables. As at the date of this photograph, the only other building in Mataura was MacGibbon's original accommodation house, on the other side of the river, which was established in 1858.
1871Inscription and Marks
Handwritten in pencil on front: 'Mataura/1871/[there is also very faded, illegible writing along the bottom of the mount].
Handwritten on back in pencil: 'Mrs G [surname illegible], 192 Wyndham Rd Kana/Mataura/colonised/about 70/ [illegible initial] O.W.Crosbie [or Crombie]/ illegible word, St/Copy'.
Handwritten on back in black ink: 'Elsie Grant Pollock/Hope Street/Mataura'.
Handwritten on back in black ink: 'E Geary, Balclutha'
Handwritten on back in blue ink: 'E Geary, 152 Lewis St, Invercargill'.
[Incorrectly] dated on back in blue ink: 'Mataura 1860s'.
h 173mm x w 222 mm
photograph, black and whiteObject Type
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Credit Line
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object number