Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]; unknown photographer; 1880-1910; MT201...
Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]About this object
Undated black and white photograph of Gardiner's Foundry on Kana Street, Mataura. We assume that the lineup of 11 men worked in the Foundry.
Gardiner's engineering operated in Mataura from 1862 to 1910. It was established by William Gardiner and continued by three of his sons (William, Alex and Edward). The business specialised in making agricultural equipment. Its ploughs were widely used and favoured at ploughing matches. Besides ploughs it also produced: combined drills, ridgers, drays, wagons, rollers and harrows. All its products were marked 'W.Gardiner'. After the business closed, Bill Gardiner (Junior) spent his last 25 years as blacksmith at the Mataura Paper Mill.
photograph, black and whiteDate Made
1880-1910Medium and Materials
processed material, paperInscription and Marks
Handwritten in blue ink on reverse:
'Gardiner's Blacksmiths Shop/Mataura/(They improved and produced many/types of ploughs for all parts of NZ/The building on far right was/ Grandfather Shanks office leaving the Marairua Run'
Signed by: 'J (the initial is not clear) Shanks 19/3/79'.
A white sticker reads: D39-12
h 140mm x w 165mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type