Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]; unknown photographer; 1880-1910; MT201...
Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]About this object
Undated black and white photograph of Gardiner's Foundry on Kana Street, Mataura with the Suspension Bridge and Bridge Street in the background.
Gardiner's engineering operated in Mataura from 1862 to 1910. It was established by William Gardiner and continued by three of his sons (William, Alex and Edward). The business specialised in making agricultural equipment. Its ploughs were widely used and favoured at ploughing matches. Besides ploughs it also produced: combined drills, ridgers, drays, wagons, rollers and harrows. All of its products were marked 'W.Gardiner'. After the business closed, Bill Gardiner (Junior) spent his last 25 years as blacksmith at the Mataura Paper Mill.
photograph, black and whiteDate Made
1880-1910Medium and Materials
processed material, paperInscription and Marks
The name 'E J LEITCH' is stamped twice on the reverse of the photograph.Technique
h 140mm x w 165mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type