Photograph [Gardiner's House, Kana Street, Mataura]; unknown photographer; c.190...
Photograph [Gardiner's House, Kana Street, Mataura]About this object
Undated black and white photograph of William Gardiner's house on Kana Street, Mataura taken c.1900. William had this house built next to his foundry which operated in Mataura from 1862 to 1910. The Mataura Squash Courts are now on this site.
The business specialised in making agricultural equipment. Its ploughs were widely used and favoured at ploughing matches. Besides ploughs it also produced: combined drills, ridgers, drays, wagons, rollers and harrows. All of its products were marked 'W.Gardiner'. William established the business and it was continued by three of his sons (William, Alex and Edward). After the business closed, Bill Gardiner (Junior) spent his last 25 years as blacksmith at the Mataura Paper Mill.
photograph, black and whiteDate Made
c.1900Medium and Materials
processed material, paperTechnique
h 145mm x w 194mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type