Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]; Blackley, George; 05.03.1898; MT2014.2...
Photograph [Gardiner's Foundry, Mataura]About this object
Black and white photograph of Gardiner's Foundry and its workers on Kana Street, Mataura taken on 5 March 1898.
Gardiner's engineering operated in Mataura from 1862 to 1910. It was established by William Gardiner and continued by three of his sons (William, Alex and Edward). The business specialised in making agricultural equipment. Its ploughs were widely used and favoured at ploughing matches. Besides ploughs it also produced: combined drills, ridgers, drays, wagons, rollers and harrows. All its products were marked 'W.Gardiner'. After the business closed, Bill Gardiner (Junior) spent his last 25 years as blacksmith at the Mataura Paper Mill.
photograph, black and whiteDate Made
05.03.1898Medium and Materials
processed material, paperInscription and Marks
Printed on front: "W. Gardiner & Co. Implement Works, Mataura N.Z. / Geo. Blackley, Photo / Edendale, N.Z. /March 5th '98 (1898).
Printed on reverse: 'GEO. BLACKLEY, PHOTO, EDENDALE'.
h 212mm x w 278mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type