Photograph, D McNeil's Store; Randall, George Thomas; 1885-1900; OT.2010.74
Photograph, D McNeil's StoreAbout this object
This is a photograph of Donald McNeil's Boots & Shoes, Draper & Outfitter, Suits Made To Order Store, with a team of horses in front of it.
McNeil's store was located on the corner of what is now Russell Esplanade (previously known as Russell Parade) and Main Street North (previously Merrivale Road). This site became known as McNeil's Corner.
The location of the store, situated next to the river across from Moffat's Flour Mill, has quite an impact on the building. Moffat's built a weiracross the river next to McNeil's to collect water to run the mill, in doing so, this greatly increased the risk of flooding on the North Otautau side of the river. Though this affected many residents who complained to the Town Board, Moffat's monopoly on the need for flour meant that only a stern warning was issued to rather than any changes made. During the 1906 flood, the stores and residents of North Otautau were badly affected, with water pouring through McNeil's store.
1885-1900Inscription and Marks
Printed in bottom right corner of the photograph: 'RANDALL 909(?) OTAUTAU'
Handwritten on back of mount: 'With Complements from the Catlins Historical Society Owaka 2010.74'.
h 255 mm x w 310 mmObject Type
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, photographic paper
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, card