Photograph, A horse cart full of flax; Unknown maker; 1930-1940; RI.P43.93.578

Name/Title

Photograph, A horse cart full of flax

About this object

A black and white photograph of a horse cart full of flax destined for Bennett's flax mill. Bennett's was established by brothers, Richard and William, in 1907, after the original Bennett Brothers of Richard, Bill, Jack, Tom and Alfred, partnership was dissolved.

From 1900 to 1905 the company was located at Waihoaka, then in 1905, shifted to Waimatuku, until 1907. Twelve years later it was destroyed by fire, but soon rebuilt. Richards son, George, took over the running of the mill from his father in 1939, due to Richard becoming ill. Production continued through World War Two, until dwindling supplies forced the mill to close in 1945, after more than forty years of production.
Information sourced from Margaret Trotters 'Flax Mills of the South'. A copy is available to view at Te Hikoi Museum in Riverton.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, Southland

Maker

Unknown maker

Maker Role

Photographer

Date Made

1930-1940

Inscription and Marks

Written in red ink on the back: 'Carting flax Wakapatu for Bennett's mill'
Stamped on the back: 'Wallace Early Settlers Museum Riverton'
Handwritten in black ink on the back: 'P43.93.578'

Measurements

h x 82 mm x w 56 mm

Period

1930s

Object Type

photographs

Subject and Association Keywords

Agriculture

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, paper

Object number

RI.P43.93.578

Rights

Attribution - Non-commercial (cc) Attribution - Non-commercial (cc)

This object is from
Share