Photograph, Carte de visite, Studio photograph of three Brown siblings; Campbell...
Photograph, Carte de visite, Studio photograph of three Brown siblingsAbout this object
A mounted sepia-toned carte-de-visite (visiting or calling card) photograph of three Brown siblings. Pictured, from left to right, are Mrs W. Smith, W. Brown and Mrs W. Fortune.
Charles Campbell photographs date from late 1888 to around 1920. After a period of trading with other partners, and photographing in Queenstown, Charles reopened the Tay Street, Invercargill studio he originally founded with William Hart, in December of 1888. He ran the business until around 1920, when he would have been aged 65. Based on Campbell's solo trading dates we have dated this photograph to the late 1880-1890s.
The carte de visite was usually made of an albumen print, which was a thin paper photograph mounted on a thicker card, and would have been 'traded' or given to friends and family during the Victorian period. Albums for storing and displaying these cards were also popular. The carte de visite gradually began to be displaced by the larger cabinet card in the 1880s.
1888-1900Inscription and Marks
Front, written directly onto photograph: 'MRS W SMITH W. BROWN MRS W FORTUNE'
Reverse, yellow sticker '98/2' (also handwritten onto card to right)
Reverse, circular WESA stamp
Reverse, white ink at top right: 'P3.92.42'
Mount: h 103 mm x w 65 mm
Image: h 90 mm x w 60 mm
organic, processed material, paper
organic, processed material, cardboard