Māori Statues; Unknown; c1907-1910; P7312
Māori StatuesAbout this object
This photo show six statues which were made for the New Zealand International Exhibition, held in Christchurch during 1906 and 1907. The group of figures stood in the Exhibition's Main Corridor. The figures were sculptured by Mr J McDonald (of Wellington) and cast in carrara plaster and bronzed.
At the conclusion of the exhibition the group of Māori statues was acquired by Mr W Quinn of the Makikihi Brickworks. The figures were stored in a shed on his farm for about 60 years. When the property changed hands the standing wāhine statue was the only salvageable statue and was put up for auction. The purchaser donated the figure to the Waimate Historical Society.
c1907-1910Medium and Materials
177 x 127mmSubject and Association Keywords
Photograph CollectionObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.