Williams House & Garden
Paihia was one of New Zealand's earliest European settlements - Anglican missionaries founded their third mission station at Paihia in 1823. The principal missionary was Reverend Henry Williams. A few material traces of the mission still exist including a humble stone shed situated in the garden of the Williams' house, built by Canon Percy Temple Williams, grandson of Henry Williams. The Friends of Williams house, Paihia Library have had this shed restored.
The shed is now known as the Stone Shed Museum featuring interpretive panels and a large sealed display cabinet. This display tells the story of the families who were associated with the Williams Estate and artifacts depicting the sheds many uses. This small museum complements the Williams House garden history trail.