Switchboard, Wyndham Telephone Exchange; Unknown manufacturer; 1930-1980; WY.000...
Switchboard, Wyndham Telephone ExchangeAbout this object
This is the switchboard from the Wyndham exchange.
The original Wyndham telephone exchange was installed in 1900 with eight subscribers. At the conclusion of World War Two, the exchange was attached to the Post Office on Redan Street. The day shift operated from 6am and the night shift ended at midnight. The women who worked in the exchange were not allowed company of any kind and were not allowed in the office when off duty. The only electrical appliance for the comfort of the staff was an electric jug for which the plug was in the strong room. There were standard expressions to use when connecting calls and no deviations were allowed.
The exchange closed in 1989.
organic, processed material, vegetal, wood
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper
organic, processed material, vegetal, fibre, cotton
inorganic, processed material, metal, copper
inorganic, processed material, metal, iron
inorganic, processed material, metal, copper alloy, brass
inorganic, processed material, synthetic, plastic, bakelite
inorganic, processed material, metal, steel
Pressed into plates on switchboard: 'POWER RINGER
h 1725 mm x w 655 mm x d 755 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.