Bottle, Clear Mineral Turps; Jim Beam; 1940-1960; WY.0000.1388
Bottle, Clear Mineral TurpsAbout this object
This clear glass bottle has been put to multiple uses over its lifetime. The bottle was originally filled with Jim Beam Bourbon and exported from America to New Zealand. However, it was given a second use by the United Trading Company Limited who filled it with mineral turps.
The United Trading Company operated stores in Gore, Mataura, Wyndham and Lumsden. The Wyndam store was establish in 1942 in the building on Balaclava Street which is now the Wyndham and Districts Historical Society's Museum.
Place where bottle was filled with turpsMedium and Materials
inorganic, processed material, glass
inorganic, processed material, metal, aluminium
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper
organic, processed material, vegetal, bark, cork
The shoulder has the word 'BEAM' that is underlined embossed on all four sides. The body of the bottle near the heel has the phrase 'SINCE 1795' embossed on all four sides. On one side of the body a faded pinkish paper label has been attached. It part also covers a small area of the adjoining sides of the body and reads:
'UNITED TRADING Co.
GORE MATAURA WYNDHAM LUMSDEN'
The base of the bottle has 'REMAINS THE PROPERTY OF JAMES B. BEAM DISTILLING CO CHICAGO' embossed around the edge, the center of the base has:
'6' embossed on it.
h 312 mm x w 85 mm x d 85 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.