Book Stand, Edendale Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes; Unknown manufacture...
Book Stand, Edendale Catholic Church of Our Lady of LourdesAbout this object
This book stand held the Priest's prayer book on the altar at the Edendale Catholic Church Our Lady of Lourdes.
Our Lady of Lourdes:
In 1927, Wyndham became a separate parish from Edendale, however, it is likely that the first mass at Edendale took place long before then. Rev. Father R. Graham became the first resident parish priest, and for a time mass was held in the public hall. Eleven years later, the Edendale Catholic Church dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes opened on February 6 1938.
By the 1980s, Edendale had a dwindling Catholic population and with the advance in transportation, it was concluded that parishioners could travel the 6kms to St Kevin's Catholic Church in Wyndham. On the afternoon of Friday October 28 1988, around seventy people gathered at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes on Ferry Road for the last mass.
St Kevin's Catholic Church was sold into private hands in 2017. At the time, only one parnisher remained, Erene McElhinney, of Edendale.
inorganic, processed material, metal, brassInscription and Marks
Handwritten in black marker pen on the back: 'WY 89 390'Measurements
h 125 mm x w 365 mm x d 280 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.