Gong, Altar, Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church ; Unknown manufacturer; 1927; WY.19...
Gong, Altar, Lady of Lourdes Catholic ChurchAbout this object
This is the altar gong and mallet from Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church Edendale. Altar gongs are commonly used in Catholic churches in replacement of altar bells. The primary reason for the use of the gong is to create a joyful noise to the Lord as a way to give thanks for the miracle taking place atop the altar. Altar gongs are also used to call attention to events taking place at the altar, including as the priest shows the host and the chalice at the beginning of communion.
Our Lady of Lourdes:
In 1927, Wyndham became a separate parish from Edendale, however, it is likely that the first mass at Edendale took place long before then. Rev. Father R. Graham became the first resident parish priest, and for a time mass was held in the public hall. Eleven years later, the Edendale Catholic Church dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes opened on February 6 1938.
By the 1980s, Edendale had a dwindling Catholic population and with the advance in transportation, it was concluded that parishioners could travel the 6kms to St Kevin's Catholic Church in Wyndham. On the afternoon of Friday October 28 1988, around seventy people gathered at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes on Ferry Road for the last mass.
St Kevin's Catholic Church was sold into private hands in 2017. At the time, only one parnisher remained, Erene McElhinney of Edendale.
inorganic, processed material, metal, brass
inorganic, processed material, metal, iron
organic, processed material, vegetal, wood
organic, processed material, animal, skin, mammal skin, leather
Handwritten in black ink on inside of base: 'WY 89 390'Measurements
See partsSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.