Applicator, Tubegauze; Scholl; 1950-1960; WY.2003.11.67
Applicator, TubegauzeAbout this object
This is a tubegauze applicator which was used by Doctor Hewat at his Wyndham practice.
The applicator is designed to help put tubegauze on; tubegauze being a tubular bandage ideal for securing injured fingers or toes.
About Doctor Hewat:
Doctor Hewat took over the Wyndham Practice from Doctor Baird in 1952. Although he only intended to stay in the town for a short time, he ended up practising until his retirement in 2001. In the early days, Doctor Hewat held clinics from Woodlands to near Clinton and out to the South Coast. In later years, with the improvement of roads, patients travelled to Doctor Hewat's surgery on Balaclava Street. For most of his time, Doctor Hewat did not accept appointments, instead tending to the his patients on a first in first served basis. This often resulted in cars lined way up the street right to the Presbyterian Church.
Doctor Hewat remained in Wyndham after his retirement and died in 2003.
inorganic, processed material, metal, stainless steelInscription and Marks
Engraved on spokes: 'SCHOLL APPLICATOR NO3 LONDON'
'USE Tubegauz No34 U.K. PAT NO 749681'.
h 160 mm x dia 80 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.