Tram [No.11 (B Type 'Combo')]; Brush Electrical Engineering Company Limited (Eng...
Tram [No.11 (B Type 'Combo')]About this object
Auckland Tram. In Service from 24th November 1902- 14th January 1954.
Trolley standard: Stovepipe type by R W Blackwell.
Trucks: Brush D1 of English manufacture. 4' 8½" (1435 mm) gauge.
Motors: 2 x Brush 1200 until 1930.
2 x British General Electric Company Limited, Witton, Birmingham GE283 @ 50 HP.
Controllers: Brush H2 from 1902. General Electric K11 from 14/12/1917.
Compressor: National from 24/08/11
Previous owner: Auckland City Council as Zoo Classroom 1959 – 1972.
Brush Electrical Engineering Co Ltd, England, built 19 combination (open/saloon) cars. The B types cost ₤1,399.2s.1d each . The first 12 trams arrived on the S.S.Niwaru on her maiden voyage from London Sunday 15th June 1902. No.11 was first of the original 43 Brush ‘kitset’ tramcars to be reassembled at Ponsonby Depot in Jervious Road.
1902–10 saw No.11 with an open front and no air brakes fitted until 1912. Decorated as the Golden Jubilee tram, November 1952. Ran as a Farmers Free Tram, December 1952. Stored Gaunt St Depot till 14th January 1954 for its last trip to the workshops at noon. Left the workshops on a truck for Westerns Springs 11.00am 19th January 1954. Exhibit at the Auckland Birthday Carnival, Western Springs, January 1954.
No.11 had been deserted in a wooden temporary shed with the bogies exposed to the weather in long grass till 1959 – and it was only when the Old Time Transport and Preservation League did a battle for the tram through the media that Council finally had the tram moved to the Auckland Zoo and covered as the classroom from 1959. Came to MOTAT Saturday 16th September 1972. No.11 ran un-restored for the first time since retirement in 1952 Saturday 25th May 1974. Restoration complete to 1912 form and colour scheme and displayed complete Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th November 1977. Entered service for a December tramway BBQ to celebrate 10 years of tramway operation at MOTAT after a motor fault repaired.
Bodywork: Brush, Loughborough, England (In Kitset form)
Length: 39’ 4½ ” width 7’ 6” Seating capacity 56.
Seating altered to carry 50 seated, 14 standing.
Glass fronts and canopies fitted: 30/03/1910
Air brakes installed: 24/08/1911
Sand gear installed: 04/10/1912
Lighting altered: 31/01/1913
Air brakes re-fitted: 15/08/1913
Re-built with panel sides: 12/09/1913
Controllers altered to GE K11: 14/12/1917
Brake leverages altered: 09/12/1919
Fronts altered: 31/07/1924
Motors changed to BGE WT28S (50hp each) 30/10/1930
Platform gates fitted: 11/1934
Repainted Columbia Red: 03/09/1942
To workshops from Gaunt Street for decorating as the Jubilee tram: 14/10/1952
To the workshops - the last trip - at noon: 14/01/1954
L 12002 W 2286mm (L 472 1/2 W 90")Subject and Association Keywords
The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT)Object Type