Mangawai Supply Store; 15-46
Mangawai Supply StoreAbout this object
Mangawai Supply Store at Mangawai Village was operated by Mrs Joan Hooks, nee Prouse.
Dragged to site of present day (2016) Four Square store, Moir St, by a bullock team in the 1930's. The front entrance was facing Insley Street. Replaced during the 1950s and then again by Markwicks supermarket in 1975
At the end of WW2, a previous owner Archie Robertson returned, and hired Mr Roy Heywood and his bullock team, to drag the store from it's original site, some 50 metres east, to the intersection of Insley Street and Moir Street, Mangawhai Village where the present 4 Square store now stands. Joan's sister, Peggy Prouse married Alan Markwick. The Markwick family continued ownership through Barry Markwick and his wife Desma.