Information - St Michaels and All Angels Church , Hakaru; 21-113
Information - St Michaels and All Angels Church , HakaruAbout this object
A collection of historical information from speeches, a diary entry, and research regarding the Anglican Church of St Michael's and All Angels at Hakaru.
There is a booklet with the title
'St Michael's Church - Hakaru.'
Researched by Margaret Blackwell, nee Ryan.
Date: 8th February 1987.
This original small booklet was printed to celebrate the first one hundred years of the Anglican Church of St Michael's and All Angels at Hakaru.
1st April 1887 to 1st April 1987.
It contains information on, a list of vicars 1881 to 1981, Tutin Family and The Parsonage, maps, and the Hakaru Cemetery,
There is also a red folder of historical information
Title: St Michael's and All Angels Church, Hakaru.
Compiled by: Wellsford Informal Group, New Zealand Society of Genealogists. Date: 1985.
Contains information on St Michael's and All Angels Church at Hakaru. with subjects including introduction, reading list, map, surname index of cemetery, burial records, war memorial.
It also contains later burial information 1863 to 2000.
The first church of St Michael's and All Angels Church opened at Hakaru in 1861.
A second church was built in 1886/87 as the first church could not accomodate the growing congregation.
The laying of the foundation stone for the new church was on 26th February 1886 and opened on 1st April 1887, by Bishop Cowie.
There is a copy of his diary entry describing the journey to Hakaru for the opening of the new church.
John Tutin was the first licensed lay preacher. His son Samuel Tutin, was also a lay preacher. Daughters' Sarah and Elizabeth Tutin also ran a Boarding School for Young Ladies at The Parsonage. This also served as a school which included local children.