Bell; A & T Burt; [?]; 2011.263

Name/Title

Bell

About this object

Bell; a large, brass bell recovered from Saint Matthias' Anglican church, Owaka. Embossed on the rim of the bell: "A & T Burt, Founders, Dunedin".

The small church, dedicated to Saint Matthias, was built early in 1892 on a section gifted by W Forsyth at the corner of Royal Terrace and the Pounawea Road, Owaka, but it was soon destroyed by fire. A new church was erected on a more central site in December of 1892. This second church was demolished in 2002.

Maker

A & T Burt

Maker Role

Maker

Date Made

[?]

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Dunedin

Medium and Materials

processed material, metal, alloy, copper alloy, brass

Inscription and Marks

Embossed: "A & T BURT FOUNDERS DUNEDIN"

Measurements

Large

Subject and Association Keywords

religions. mythology. rationalism. religious life

Credit Line

From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".

Object Type

object

Object number

2011.263

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved