Photo of the Coffee Palace; CT82.1453A
Photo of the Coffee PalaceAbout this object
Ford’s Coffee Palace was situated opposite the Owaka Railway Station and was very popular especially when a train was due in, or on stock sale days. When the new railway opened in 1896, the railway station was positioned on an area of flat land two kilometres from the original settlement. A new township grew up near the station replacing the earlier settlement.
Numerous buildings were simply transported to the new site. By the end of the 1890’s there was a new post office, two general stores, three bakeries, two hotels, an ironmongers, a tailor’s shop, a saddlery, a shoe shop and the Coffee Palace. This establishment had accommodation for thirty guests, a large, public dining room, stables for many horses and horse-drawn vehicles for hire. The Coffee Palace was destroyed by fire in January 1949.