Lantern; Tucker & Sons; Late 1800s; CT77.153
LanternAbout this object
Lantern; a candle-powered lantern, made of thin, sheet steel, with a glass lens at the front. The box-shaped lantern features a drawer at the base to hold spare candles and matches; a false top with open side vents to carry away smoke; a pair of wire loops for carrying; and a hook for hanging.
A maker's plate at the top reads: Tucker & Sons, Military, Travellers and Emigrants Lamp, Manufactory 190 Strand, London. Registered September 14, 1855".
The lantern was found by Tom Galletly in some scrub at Kaka Point. It is believed the lantern was used at the Nugget Point lighthouse circa 1870-1890, by lighthouse keepers Mr Cardigan and Mr Cunningham, and the Pilot, Mr Hoggart.
Late 1800sPlace Made
processed material, metal
processed material, glass
Embossed on maker's plate: "TUCKER & SON'S / MILITARY, TRAVELLERS / & EMIGRANTS LAMP / MANUFACTORY / 190 STRAND LONDON / REGISTD SEPTR 14. 1855 No 386"Technique
h 220mm x l 130mm x w 90mm
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"Object Type