Carlton House; [?]; Early 20th century; CT80.1199b
Carlton HouseAbout this object
Carlton House, copy of Certificate of Title under Land Transfer Act, 12th October, 1893, in the name of Walter Carlton, being 100 acres of land, Block III, Woodland District, The Catlins.
Together with this document are brief handwritten notes on the ownership of Carlton House, sometimes known as Ferndale Park, and a photocopy of a photograph of the house when owned by Mr and Mrs White.
Carlton House was built for Walter Carlton and is similar the the architecturally-designed house which he built in Roslyn, Dunedin. On the Land Transfer documents, Walter Carlton is recorded as being a builder of Roslyn, and in the Catlins, he was manager of the Guthrie & Larnack Sawmill.
The next owners of Carlton House were Mr and Mrs John White who provided meals and accommodation for travellers when the mail coach - which had to work in with the tides to get across the Tahakopa River - had to stay overnight.
Owners of Carlton House were -
Mr Walter Carlton 1893-1901, Mr & Mrs John White 1901-1916, Mr Earnest Clough 1916-1919, Mr Robert McTaggart 1919-1951, Mr Frederick Cooper 1951. According to the Land Transfer documents, the land was originally owned in 1892 by Samuel and Elizabeth Roberts.
Early 20th centuryPlace Made
processed material, paperMeasurements
foolscapSubject and Association Keywords
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika, The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type