Photograph [Hunter house]; [?]; CT04.4111.2

Name/Title

Photograph [Hunter house]

About this object

Photograph; a black and white photograph of the Hunter house, Kahuika. George and Ann (nee Lindsay) Hunter, with their family, believed to be, from left: Robert, Margaret, Jean and Agnes.

George Hunter was one of the Shag Point coalminers who moved to Kahuika with the assistance of Sir John McKenzie, Minister of Lands in the Liberal Government. Built about 1896, this rudimentary house is stated to be the first erected at Kahuika. It was located near the site of where the was memorial was placed after the Great War, 1914-1918.

The original photograph has been digitised. A digital image and copy print are available for research access.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, The Catlins, Kahuika

Maker

[?]

Maker Role

Photographer

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on reverse: 'First house built in the Catlins / at Kahuika about 1896 / The children are thought to be / from left Robert, Margaret, Jean & Agnes / George Hunter on the left / & Ann Hunter on the far right / Situated near Kahuika Monument / ...'

Format

Photograph

Object Type

photograph

Subject and Association Keywords

history of Oceania, New Zealand, local history and description

Subject and Association Keywords

building construction, architectural engineering. structural engineering of buildings

Credit Line

From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"

Object number

CT04.4111.2

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

Tags
Share