Machine, sewing; Singer Manufacturing Co; 1907; CT08.4863
Machine, sewingAbout this object
Sewing machine; a model 15K Singer sewing machine, manufactured in 1907 at the Singer factory in Clydebank, Scotland. The machine, originally powered by treadle or hand-crank has been retro-fitted with an electric motor and foot pedal.
The body of the machine is decorated with mother-of-pearl coloured decals in a floral design known as Tiffany/Gingerbread.
These machines were built before the advent of planned obsolescence, and so they were designed to be repaired rather than replaced. Consequently many are still extant today, some in collections and others still in service.
The Clydebank factory, in Kilbowie, Scotland, was opened in 1883 to meet growing demand in Europe. At the time, it was the largest sewing machine factory in the world and at one point, employed 12,000 workers. Its most distinctive feature was the clock tower - the second largest in the world at 200 feet.
This particular sewing machine was made at Clydebank as one of a batch of 200,000 between July and December of 1907, and belonged to Martha Spinks of Pounawea.
processed material, metal, alloy, steel; organic, vegetal, wood.Measurements
h 300mm x l 460mm x w 290mm
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"Object Type