Belt, Girl Guides; [?]; 20th century; CT90.1776a
Belt, Girl GuidesAbout this object
Girl Guides belt; a brown, leather belt. The buckle is embossed with the Girl Guides logo and the words: 'Girl Guides Association, Be Prepared'. At two points on the belt, a metal ring is inserted for attaching implements. The back of the belt has been made into a makeshift ruler, by marking inches from 0-30 in blue pen.
Girl Guiding was developed in 1908, when the daughter of New Zealander Lieutenant Colonel Cossgrove asked if she and her friends could join in Scouting with the boys. In September of that year the first girls were sworn in as Girl Peace Scouts.
In 1923 the organisation was officially registered as part of The Girl Guide Association which had been set up in England in 1909 and became known as The Girl Guides Association of New Zealand.
20th centuryPlace Made
processed material, leather; processed material, metal.Inscription and Marks
Embossed on buckle: 'GIRL GUIDES / ASSOCIATION / BE PREPARED'Measurements
l 835mm x w 42mm
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type