Genealogical document, Saint Columba Church Owaka 1897-1997, Centennial Celebrat...
Genealogical document, Saint Columba Church Owaka 1897-1997, Centennial CelebrationAbout this object
Saint Columba Church Owaka 1897-1997, Centennial Celebration; the simple wooden building was opened in 1897 and dedicated to St Columba of Iona. The land for the building was given by Mr Rae. Prior to the church being built, families walked at least eight miles to attend mass at Mr Charles Columb's home near Katea. Due to deterioration of the building, the stained glass windows were relocated in 1996 to the Blessed Mary McKillop Church in Balclutha. Includes copies of visitor book, lists of parishioners and priests, memories, photographs.
Rev. Father T Lenahan, Rev. Father James O'Neill, Miss Mary Ann Horan, Mr Charles Columb, Bishop Moran, Father Kevin Bonish, Father David Johnstone, Sister Antionus O.P. (Brigid Columb), Sister Aidan Sister of Compassion (Shirley Tunnicliffe), Cyril Hayes, Gordon Hayes, Edwin Thomas Hayes, Jung, Niagra, Tahakopa, Father Howard, Father Rooney, Molly Murphy, Mr Pat Maley, Margaret Rae, Bridget O'Connell, Jesse Coote, Father Jack Fitzgibbon, Father McMahon, Mrs McCaffry, Tarara.
processed material, paper;
processed material, synthetic, plastic
A4Subject and Association Keywords
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika, The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type