Abrader; pre-1800; Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, The Catlins, Tautuku; 200...
AbraderAbout this object
An abrader from an archaeological site at Tautuku Bay. Made from buff sandstone, from an unknown source. The tool exhibits evidence of use wear all over, with pecking on the ends and sides. From the Les Lockerbie collection of archaeological material.
Since the 1920s several archaeologists have taken a keen interest in early archaeological sites which were located at Cannibal Bay, False Island, Manuka Point-Pounawea, Hinahina, King's Rock and Papatowai Point.
Waitaha and Ngati Mamoe inhabited the land and islands from Rakaia to Rakiura (Stewart Island), Ruapuke and along the coast as well as inland to Lakes Hawea, Wanaka and Wakatipu. Using the Waitaki, Mata Au (Clutha River), Mataura and Waiau rivers as highways, they were hunter-gatherers.
Les Lockerbie, who was raised in the Maclennan district, collected artifacts at Papatowai in the period 1924-1936, and it was he who aroused the interest of the Otago Museum, with the result that David Teviotdale undertook digging at Papatowai in 1936-1938.
Later, Lockerbie continued the search at Papatowai and elsewhere, before undertaking a lengthy investigation at Manuka Point. Here he was able to use radio-carbon dating to confirm the age of the artifacts and materials uncovered. A very positive outcome was the publication of the results of his research and the creation at the Otago Museum of an excellent display which shows the layered strata of the site.
In the 1980s Dr Jill Hamel carried out further research in the course of her doctorate studies, which included a dig at Manuka Point.
Today the findings of these archaeologists enable us to gain some perspective of life in the early period of New Zealand pre-history.
inorganic, stone, sandstoneTechnique
h 29mm x l 113mm x w 60mm
The Les Lockerbie CollectionCredit Line
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"Object Type