Marton Historical Village
A museum featuring curios dating back to the Victorian-Edwardian eras and up to the 1940s. It consists of three buildings; Captain Cook Pioneer Cottage (Marton is named after Cook's birthplace in Yorkshire) - now a restored 1869 homestead containing pioneer furniture, clothing, kitchenware, in a Victorian setting; a General Store - a former police cell block, with items of clothing, millinery, hardware. Snellgrove Barn - a restored 1863 furniture factory, showing blacksmith tools, schoolroom paraphernalia, wartime relics, antique bottles, Marton's first telephone exchange and transport & railway mementos.
An important feature is the archives which covers the lifetime of South Rangitikei. More than 20,000 filed newspaper clippings from the 1850's onwards, documents, local newspaper files from 1907, photographs, maps, over 400 pioneer family files, plus histories of schools, churches, sports, for Marton, Bulls & Hunterville are held.
PO Box 117, Marton
06 327 6689 (Answer machine gives alternative numbers)
All staff are volunteers.
397 Wellington Road, Marton
$4. (Accompanied children & Marton Historical Society members free). School groups: Primary $2 pp; Secondary $3 pp. Supervising teachers free.
Other FacilitiesAssisted archive research & Photocopying available (charge).