Badge; W.J. Carroll, London; 1905; 2003.11.61
BadgeAbout this object
Small badge, round shape with pin attached to the top. it has a bright blue border with "Dorking O.P.C.C 1905 around the outside of the badge. In the centre is a red and blue shield with a rooster in the middle. The clasp has a small shield attached in the centre. On the reverse, the hallmarks are visible.
This badge is from the Dorking Old Paulonians Cycling Club and is dated 1905. On the reverse it has been engraved with "1st. 12 Miles - H. Rapley. This is possibly referring to Harry Rapley, a relative of the donor of the item, Tracee Rapley.
The Old Paulonians Cycling Club was one of the important and successful local Dorking clubs of the early 20th century. This club was one of a number of clubs established in the area, formed in 1900 by former pupils of St Paul's School. It survived the First World War and was a very active club in competitions between the wars.
In the 1920s, the club introduced summer time trials for over 25, 30 and 50 miles. Road racing was illegal at the time so cyclists wore black to avoid detection. The club also introduced stop-watch competitions and timed hill climbs up Box Hill. At the peak of its popularity in the late 1920s and early 1930s the OPCC was a competitive club and it remained so until the outbreak of war in 1939.
As a 1905 medal winner, H Rapley would have been an early member.
MetalInscription and Marks
"Dorking O.P.C.C. 1905"
"1st 12 Miles H. Rapley"
Rapley CollectionCredit Line
Donated by T Rapley, Whangarei Museum, Kiwi NorthObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.