Opening of the First School; Bauke, D.H; 1966; 1967.17.4
Opening of the First SchoolAbout this object
Raglan’s first school began in 1866, in a tent. The first school building was in the Methodist chapel on the corner of James Street and Wallis Street (now the site of the Bowling Club). With the passing of the Education Act in 1877, the church school became a public school and moved in 1883 to the new Stewart Street building of one room with a porch. This is now the restored Old School Arts Centre.Maker
Bauke FamilyCredit Line
Painted by D.H Bauke for the Raglan School Centenary 1866 - 1966Object Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.