HomeMuseum Detail

Bishop's School

In 1844 a brick schoolhouse was built for the Church of England elementary school in Nelson. It was later briefly used as a public school, then from 1860 to 1895 it was again an Anglican Church school for boys and became known as Bishop's School. In 1881 a new wooden schoolhouse was built, with one brick wall from the original building, later used as a library and meeting room, private primary school, and scout and guide room. Restored by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust in 1975 the school contains articles from Victorian days. A highlight is a recreated Victorian schoolroom where groups can receive a Victorian school lesson through Nelson Provincial Museum Education Service. Interpretative panels describe the history of the building and teaching methods of the time.

Collection Type
Historic Site, History


Contact Details
Postal address iconC/-83 Princes Drive, Nelson
Telephone number icon64-3-548; 4043
Email address icond.watt@historic.org.nz


Visitor Information
Physical address icon43 Nile Street, Nelson, New Zealand
Hours of operation iconBy arrangement
Charges iconFree


Facilities
Parking



-41.27626173.2855716