HomeMuseum Detail

Historic Fort Taiaroa

The Fort features a series of underground tunnels leading to the Armstrong disappearing Gun and magazine area where the Museum is housed. There is a focus on early Maori presence in the area (Pa) and the military involvement in the 1880's during the perceived threat from Tsarist Russia. The Armstrong Disappearing Gun was installed in May 1889 and is the only one of its kind working and is still in its original gun pit.

Collection Type
History, Taonga Maori, Technology


Contact Details
Postal address iconPO Box 492, Dunedin
Telephone number icon64-3-478 0499
Web address iconhttp://www.albatrosses.com
Email address iconreservations@albatrosses.com


Visitor Information
Physical address iconTaiaroa Head, Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, New Zealand
Hours of operation iconDaily 10am-4pm
Charges iconAdult $12 Child $6 Family $33


Facilities
Guided Tour



-45.783333170.7333416