HomeMuseum Detail

Ophir Post Office

Account profile image
Ophir, formerly known as Blacks No 1 or Blackton, was a thriving gold mining town established in the 1860s.

In 1875 the settlement, complete with stores, hotels, banks, churches, hospital, police station and school, was named Ophir after the Biblical place where King Solomon obtained gold for the temple in Jerusalem. In October 1886 a new Post Office of schist masonry with plaster quoins and window dressings was built by stonemason Edward Booth, replacing a smaller operation in Ophir.

In 1976 the Post Office was taken over by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (now Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga) and restored, and still operates postal services for three hours each weekday morning. Its interior remains largely unchanged from the time of its construction.

Collection Type
Historic Site


Contact Details
Postal address iconSwindon St, Ophir, Central Otago
Telephone number icon64-3-447 3738
Web address iconhttp://www.historicplaces.org.nz/en/placesToVisit/otagosouthland/Ophir.aspx
Email address iconinformation@heritage.org.nz


Visitor Information
Physical address iconSwindon St, Ophir, Central Otago, New Zealand
Hours of operation iconMon-Fri 9amĀ­-12pm (as a working post office) Closed public holidays
Charges iconFree


Facilities
Parking
Museum brochures/postal services.



-45.109695169.6052416