HomeMuseum Detail

Marton Historical Village

A museum featuring curios dating back to the Victorian-Edwardian eras and up to the 1940s. It consists of three buildings; Captain Cook Pioneer Cottage (Marton is named after Cook's birthplace in Yorkshire) - now a restored 1869 homestead containing pioneer furniture, clothing, kitchenware, in a Victorian setting; a General Store - a former police cell block, with items of clothing, millinery, hardware. Snellgrove Barn - a restored 1863 furniture factory, showing blacksmith tools, schoolroom paraphernalia, wartime relics, antique bottles, Marton's first telephone exchange and transport & railway mementos.
Archives:
An important feature is the archives which covers the lifetime of South Rangitikei. More than 20,000 filed newspaper clippings from the 1850's onwards, documents, local newspaper files from 1907, photographs, maps, over 400 pioneer family files, plus histories of schools, churches, sports, for Marton, Bulls & Hunterville are held.

Collection Type
History


Contact Details
Postal address iconPO Box 117, Marton
Telephone number icon06 327 6689 (Answer machine gives alternative numbers)
Web address iconhttp://tinyurl.com/martonhist
Email address iconmartonhist@ihug.co.nz
Staff iconAll staff are volunteers.


Visitor Information
Physical address icon397 Wellington Road, Marton, New Zealand
Hours of operation iconOn request
Charges icon$4. (Accompanied children & Marton Historical Society members free). School groups: Primary $2 pp; Secondary $3 pp. Supervising teachers free.


Facilities
Wheelchair accessReference LibraryParkingGuided TourToilets
Assisted archive research & Photocopying available (charge). WiFi



-40.0735175.3790716