HomeObject Detail
Art

First Signal Station, Port Nelson; John GULLY; 399

First Signal Station, Port Nelson; John GULLY; 399
Name/Title
First Signal Station, Port Nelson
About this object
Watercolour landscape of the Port Nelson signal station with flag posts and grazing cattle in foreground. View overlooks Tasman Bay with the Mount Arthur Range in background.
Medium and Materials
Watercolour on paper
Place Made
Nelson
Subject and Association Keywords
Architecture/Station
Industry/Farming
History
Mountains/Mountain ranges
Landscapes/Regional landscapes/Nelson landscapes
Industry/Marine
New Zealand/South Island/Nelson
New Zealand/South Island/Nelson/Nelson Harbour
Subject and Association Description
Nelson's first signal station was built in 1841 on Britannia Heights and an interpretative history board continues to mark the spot today.

It was a very visible position and ships used the station to help navigate the difficult entrance to Nelson Harbour. A red flag signalled the position of the tide so that ships would know whether or not there was sufficient water to enter.

Credit Line
Presented by Miss Hilda Small in 1968
Object Type
Painting
Object number
399

Tags

Architecture/Station
History
Industry/Farming
Industry/Marine
Landscapes/Regional landscapes/Nelson landscapes
Mountains/Mountain ranges


Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved
+ Add Comment